Friday, October 12, 2018




My Gentleman

Despite blasting horns
and the roar of motors
I choose not to run down
the old man crossing
ever so slowly
in front of me.
Over-sized pants
worn jacket
shoes without laces.
But an arresting face
of sharp bones and narrow eyes.
Unfazed by the crazies
he holds his pace
until he reaches the curb
where, in slow motion
he turns and doffs his cap to me.
This graceful gesture from a diffeent time
lifts my spirit
removes me from the rabble of the street

Bridget Harwell

2 comments:

Aileen said...

Hi Aunt Bridget,
I've missed your poems. My heart popped when I saw Pocket Shrink in my Inbox. I like your gentleman, especially "Unfazed by the crazies / He holds his pace". Lifted my spirit too.
I also like "I choose not to run down". Isn't that the size of it?
Love,
Aileen

Bridget said...

Thanks for comments. I like those lines also.