Saturday, August 27, 2011

Martha Graham

In a parallel universe I hope I can be friends with Martha Graham. It's not really about the dancing though I'm imaging that would be close to Nirvana. It's more that she seemed to have such an holistic wisdom---one that integrated mind, body and spirit. Here is a quote attributed to her that rings like a clear bell to me:

"There is a vitality, a life-force, an energy, a quickening
that is translated through you into action
and because there is only one of you in all of time,
this expression is unique.
And if you block it,
it will never exist through any other medium and
be lost.
The world will not have it.

It is not your business to determine how good it is
nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions.
It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly,
to keep the channel open.
You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work.
You have to be open and aware
directly to the urges that motivate you.
Keep the channel open." 

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wonderful quote---something so important to remember and so easy to forget. Thank you!

ashley said...

this quote changed my life when i heard it years ago.....thanks for he reminder.

The Perennial Student said...

Liz,
I have been reading through the blog and am loving it. Martha Graham and choreographers in general seem to speak to me, though I never danced in a trained way. I am feeling not so connected to my vital energy source so this was lovely to read as inspiration. thank you.