Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Did You Find Everything You Were Looking For?

If you have ever shopped at Whole Foods, you have been asked this question. I always say, "Yes, thank you," because, really, what's the point of saying you couldn't find that heavenly cheese that they had last week?

Yesterday was different. Waiting in a long line, I repeatedly heard the cashier ask, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" and it got me thinking, did I?

It's often said you have a better chance of finding what you want if you know what you're looking for, and , in large part, that is true. Still, it's possible to foreclose on life, to lock into a position without having experienced options. If you push your cart about for a while, wander the aisles, you can find all kinds of interesting things on the shelves.

Never having had a list or plan for my life, I mostly stumbled into things. But I did prepare myself to have good things happen. I liked learning, I valued physical well-being and I paid attention to relationships. A lot of the time I was scared, still am, but I tried new things.

So, putting my groceries into the car, I concluded that, "Yes," in my own circuitous way, I found a lot of what I wanted in life. I wasn't always fully aware of, or appreciative of it at the time, and everything didn't arrive at the times I woulld have liked. Some of the things I most valued, I wasn't able to keep, but my little life-review left me feeling pretty good. And life is never over until it is; I'll keep shopping because I do want to find that amazing cheese.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this.

Jesse said...

Never having had a 5-year plan, 2-year plan or much beyond a 3-month plan, I loved this too. Especially: "But I did prepare myself to have good things happen. I liked learning, I valued physical well-being and I paid attention to relationships. A lot of the time I was scared, still am, but I tried new things."

I hear a lot of people putting a lot of emphasis on those aspects of life once they're out of balance. I like the idea of taking care of them before they're out of whack and laying groundwork for good things to happen...

Bridget said...

Thanks,Jessie,
I like how you say laying the ground work. There are those times in life when one has no idea where the road leads nor what to do to make something happen. That's when to fall back on laying the ground work. Just when you want to couch it, that's the time to go run or walk, buy some decent food and get hold of friends. Something always does turn up and when it does, you are more ready.

tao1776 said...

Plan for the now and all will seem to go just as you planned.